In celebration of this year’s Imagine a Day Without Water, the Commission is offering tours of its drinking water and wastewater treatment plants to customers and members of the public.
At the drinking water plant, participants will be able to learn and see how water from Cobble Mountain Reservoir is treated for safe consumption by 250,000 customers in the lower Pioneer Valley every day. Portions of the plant still in use date from 1909. At the wastewater treatment plant, participants will learn what happens once the water they use flows down the drain, and how that water is cleaned for eventual discharge into the Connecticut River.
Tours are limited in size to 20 participants each, ages 10 and up. Participants must provide their own transportation to and from the facilities. Light refreshments will be served.
Wastewater Plant Tour
Friday, October 12, 2018, 2:30 PM – 4 PM
Springfield Regional Wastewater Treatment Facility, 190 M Street, Agawam MA 01001
Drinking Water Plant Tour
Friday, October 12, 2018, 5 PM – 6:30 PM
West Parish Filters Water Treatment Facility, 1515 Granville Road, Westfield MA 01085
To Register and Attend:
- As of October 11, 2018, tours are full!
- Email email@example.com or call 413-452-1302 by 5 PM on Wednesday, October 10, and indicate:
- The tour you would like to attend
- The number of participants in your party
- City/town of residence
- Contact information (phone or email)
- Visitors are welcome to attend both tours if space allows – please indicate your first and second choice
- Participants residing in the Commission’s retail and wholesale service areas (Springfield, Ludlow, Agawam, East Longmeadow, Longmeadow, Wilbraham, and West Springfield) will be given preference
- Participants must wear close-toed shoes. Safety equipment will be provided.
- Please be advised that each tour involves some outdoor walking
At left: Tour participants entering the stairwell to the 1909 slow sand filters at the West Parish Filters Water Treatment Facility.
At right: A high-level view of the aeration basins of the Springfield Regional Wastewater Treatment Facility on Bondi’s Island in Agawam.
Imagine a Day Without Water aims to elevate awareness of the value of water, and the importance of water and wastewater infrastructure to public health, the economy, and quality of life. For more information visit: www.thevalueofwater.org.
The Springfield Water and Sewer Commission provides retail, wholesale, and emergency drinking water and wastewater services to 250,000 customers in ten communities in the lower Pioneer Valley.