Protect Yourself from Utility Scams
Occasionally, the Commission learns that unauthorized individuals are presenting themselves as employees of the Springfield Water and Sewer Commission in order to gain unlawful entry onto a property or to collect illicit payments. Unfortunately this is a common type of scam experienced nationwide.
Here are a few things to know:
- Commission workers are required to present an official photo ID card. Before allowing any utility worker into your home, always ask for official identification.
- Commission employees will almost never arrive without an appointment, unless it’s an emergency.
- Commission employees drive blue or white vehicles with official license plates and the Springfield Water and Sewer Commission seal on the side.
- Commission employees never ask for money or payment while on a customer’s property. Payments are only accepted by mail, over the phone, online, or at designated payment locations.
What to do:
If you are ever unsure about a Commission employee on your property:
- Call 413-452-1320 to verify employment, and/or
- Call Customer Service at 413-310-3501 to verify the purpose of the visit
If you suspect someone is unlawfully posing as a Commission employee, do not provide them access to your property and call your local police department.