Sewer bills are calculated based on water usage. Residential customers with an in-ground lawn sprinkler system, or industrial customers that use process water that does not get discharged into the sewer system may be interested in installing an auxiliary meter. Customers with an auxiliary meter are charged water and sewer bills based on water use from the primary meter. The auxiliary meter is utilized to generate a credit for sewer charges for water that was not discharged into the sewer system.
A customer that meets auxiliary meter guidelines and receives both water and sewer service from the Commission may have an auxiliary meter installed at the customer’s expense.
Steps for Installing an Auxiliary Meter
- Request service from the Commission’s Operations Center; you may call 413-310-3501 to learn more about the requirements.
- All plumbing work for the meter must be completed by a licensed plumber in accordance with the Commission’s Guidelines and Policies.
- A Plumbing Permit must be taken out at the Springfield Code Enforcement Office located at the Department of Public Works at 70 Tapley Street, Springfield, MA 01109.
- Plumbing must include installation of a pressure vacuum breaker or in some cases a reduced pressure zone valve to prevent backflow.
- A drain valve may be installed downstream 12 inches below the pressure vacuum breaker.
- All auxiliary pipe connections must be installed on piping after the primary meter. Any connection on the water service prior to the primary meter is an illegal connection (“T” setup).
- Hose bib spigots and or drain valves cannot be connected to the water piping after the auxiliary meter
- Once the plumbing work has been completed, the Commission will install the auxiliary meter at the customer’s expense (see Rules and Regulations).
- All auxiliary meters must be inspected by the SWSC Cross Connection Control Program personnel before the auxiliary meter can be installed; request service online or call 413-310-3501 to set up an appointment.
- The Owner must meet all of the Commission’s requirements for auxiliary meters before any fee credits will be allowed.
Ludlow Customers: Ludlow customers served by the Commission who would like to install an auxiliary meter are responsible for providing the meter. Please contact our Operations Center at 413-310-3501 to discuss the additional requirement.