Apply for New Residential Water/Sewer Service

If you are interested in applying for new residential water and/or sewer services, the following steps provide a general description of the process to receive approval for construction:

Step 1

Obtain a site plan, mortgage survey, block plan, or map off the internet showing the parcel in question, the street, and preferably one cross street. This site plan is required for the next steps in the application process.

Step 2

The Owner, or an Authorized Representative*, may apply for water and sewer services at the Commission’s Operations Center at 71 Colton Street, Springfield MA. The application form can be completed at the Operations Center with the assistance of one of our Customer Service Representatives, or it can be printed out, completed in advance, and brought to the Operations Center for submission. Click here to print a copy of the application form.

The application fee is $50 for either a water or sewer service, or $100 for both for a single family home ($75/$150 for a duplex). The application fee is due when the application is submitted.


Authorized Representative – If someone other than the property owner is applying on behalf of the property owner’s, the application must be accompanied by an Owner Authorization Form. If the Owner is the applicant, this form is not required.

Step 3

The Commission will review the application on a first come, first served basis. Most reviews are completed within two weeks, although depending on the complexity of the connection and the number of other applications under review, this may take as long as four weeks.

Step 4

Upon completion of our review, the Commission will issue a memo to the applicant that outlines the construction requirements and associated fees. The applicant will be contacted when this memo has been prepared and may pick up the approval package at 71 Colton Street. The required fees must be paid to the Commission at this time.

More detailed information on the application process, site plan requirements, a description of potential fees, and a list of frequently asked questions about the new residential water/sewer service application is located here.

Water and Sewer Availability

To get more information on water and sewer main availability to serve a property, download and complete the Water and/or Sewer Service Availability form. This form, along with a site plan, should be submitted to the Commission at its administrative headquarters on Bondi’s Island to the attention of Amanda Czerwiec, Engineering and Technical Services.