Billing Questions and Disputes

Questions about Your Bill

If you have any questions about your bill please call Customer Service at 413-452-1393.

Disputing Your Bill

If for any reason you believe your bill is wrong you may file a dispute.

Customers can file a dispute by emailing or mailing a letter to the Springfield Water and Sewer Commission, P.O. Box 995, Springfield MA 01101-2551.

The customer will be notified of any resolution and it will be recorded in the customer’s account history. More information can be found in the Springfield Water and Sewer Commission Rules and Regulations.